Click on the category of information for a list of freqently-asked questions.

Approved Educational Programs

Can I take a course at the College?

The Alberta College of Paramedics does not offer courses. It is the regulatory body for Emergency Medical Responders (EMR), Emergency Medical Technicians (EMT), and Emergency Medical Technologist-Paramedics (EMT-P) in Alberta. EMRs, EMTs, and EMT-Ps must register with the College in order to practice in Alberta. Registration is done through an exam and application process that is undertaken following completion of an approved training program.

There are a number of approved programs in Alberta. If you are interested in taking approved EMR, EMT, or EMT-P education/training in Alberta, please see the College's list of Approved Education Programs.

What are the annual nomination deadlines for the awards?

The deadline for nominations for the Emergency Medical Services Exemplary Service Medal is November 30 of each year.

The deadline for nominations for the Award of Excellence is February 28 of each year.

I submitted a nomination for an award and want to know how I can check the status. Who do I contact?
For the status of a nomination for the Award of Excellence, click here. For the status of a nomination for the Emergency Medical Services Exemplary Service Medal, click here.

How can I be involved with a College Committee?

Practitioners who meet the following criteria are encouraged to get involved with a College Committee.

  • In good standing within the College.
  • An expert relative to the objective of the committee.
  • Interested in working toward the betterment of the profession.
  • Able to use problem solving techniques within a team environment.
  • Dedicated to completing assignments or tasks on time.
  • Have undertaken College-approved governance training.

If you meet these criteria and wish to apply, complete the Committee Application Form and submit it to the College.

For information about how the College compensates practitioners for their commitment to governance, click here.

How long are the terms for committee members?

Committee members can serve a maximum of two consecutive three-year terms.

If you apply to a committee, you will be notified upon receipt of your application. All applications are reviewed and held on file if a position is not immediately available for consideration. Committee appointments must be approved by the College Council so it can take some time before candidates are notified of an appointment.

The Continuing Education Program

I noticed there are changes to the Continuing Competence Program (now the Continuing Education Program). What are the changes and why were they made?

The College and the paramedic profession are currently regulated by the Emergency Medical Technicians Regulation, Health Disciplines Act. The modest legal authority for the continuing competence program is referenced in section 5 of the Regulation: "120 education credits as determined by the College and approved by the (Health Disciplines) Board." This is part of the annual registration renewal process.

The College's review and discussions with other regulated professions suggests that the current reflective practice approach in CIMS is not robust enough to ensure maintenance of competence. The reflective practice review approach, where registrants document their perceived strengths and deficiencies, needs to better reflect a newer, more evidence-based approach.

This includes increased linkages with continuing education opportunities, acknowledgment of certification programs, and recognition of the significantly increased complexities and professional demands of today's practice settings.

Many health professional regulatory colleges are planning or in the process of redesigning their continuing competence programs to address the relationship between ongoing learning and professional practice.

Under Council's guidance, the Continuing Competence Committee is actively pursuing redesign of the program, consistent with reference to "120 education credits" in the Emergency Medical Technicians Regulation under the Health Disciplines Act.

What will replace the competence program?

The College is highly committed to evidence-based, progressive continuing competence and professional development. The redesigned continuing competence program under the Health Disciplines Act will carry over, with numerous enhancements, to be authorized by the Paramedics Profession Regulation under the Health Professions Act.

The Continuing Competence Committee will be inviting your input on the redesigned program in the fall, prior to presentations to Council and the Health Disciplines Board.

I've been inputting data for years. How will changes to the program affect my competence data history?

Each registrant's continuing competence data has been securely backed up, including on-site at the College's office. Council, the Continuing Competence Committee, the Interim CEO/Registrar and staff acknowledge the significant time and effort you have spent to maintain your competencies in the past four years. Registrants may still access their own CIMS records, to update their employee file, look at their previously entered learning plans, etc.

Everything contained within those online learning plans should also have been retained by you as evidence. This is clearly stated within the CIMS handbook and on our website.

How do I know the number of Continuing Education credits I have earned?

The College only tracks review of the Professionalism Module and completion of the online evaluation. For all other credit-approved learning activities, please keep a personal record of completion dates and any certificates received for your professional portfolio. In the New Year, the College expects to launch an improved system for which practitioners will track earned credits.


I would like to become a member of the College Council. What's involved?

Council members are elected by registered practitioners each year at the Annual General Meeting and elected practitioners may serve a maximum of two consecutive three-year-terms. Nomination forms are sent to all registered practitioners early in the year and candidate profiles, including biographies, are posted to the College website once the deadline for nominations has passed. Candidates are invited to speak to attendees at the Annual General Meeting once prior to voting.

NOTE: As per College Bylaw 5.9.3, 'any nominees for Council elections must first attend an Alberta College of Paramedics Governance Training Session.'

Are College Council meetings open to practitioners? The public?
Yes. Council meetings are open to practitioners and the public, but space is limited so please contact the Executive Assistant to the CEO/Registrar at 780-410-4131 at least a week prior to the meeting if you are planning to attend.

If I am a trained RN from the Philippines, what should I do first?
Carefully review the Transferring to Alberta - Equivalency page of the website. This page details all the steps included in an equivalency review, including the documentation you must provide to the College.

What if I cannot provide my certificates and education program course outlines and information?
The College uses discretion in situations where candidates are unable to produce educational information (house fire, institutional closure, etc.). If this is your situation, please contact the College to determine whether you are eligible for a review.

I'm a trained paramedic in the United States. Why am I not automatically eligible for the same designation in Alberta?
In Alberta, Emergency Medical Responder (EMR), Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) and Emergency Medical Technologist-Paramedic (EMT-P) are protected titles under the Government of Alberta's Health Disciplines Act (HDA) and adhere to a defined scope of practice under the EMT regulations included in the HDA. Practitioners from other Canadian provinces are eligible to transfer through the Government of Canada's Agreement on Internal Trade, but international candidates must participate in an equivalency review to assess their qualifications against the scope of practice of regulated Alberta practitioners.

What are the steps of the equivalency application process?
A complete step-by-step for the equivalency process, including what you need to include in an application, can be found here.

What can I do if my equivalency application is not successful?
If your application is unsuccessful, you will receive a detailed written explanation from the College including rationale for the decision.

If I change my mind and choose to cancel my application, can I get a refund?
You may only choose to cancel your application once the prescreen review is completed. You will be notified of the results of the pre-screen and may choose to cancel your application at that time. If you choose to cancel your application, you will forfeit the non-refundable $100 pre-screen fee. You will be refunded the balance. If your application has proceeded to the full review, you will not be eligible for a refund.

Can I work in Alberta with temporary registration?
Yes. Practitioners with temporary registration may provide services under the direct supervision of a registered practitioner who has current registration at the same or higher designation level. See the Temporary Registration Policy for full details.

What does the equivalency review 'do'?
The equivalency review ensures that individuals are evaluated and deemed to possess 'reasonably similar' education, training and experience to the College's entry to practice standards for EMT and EMT-P, relative to applicants from the traditional entry to practice stream.

Will the College review all equivalency applicants?
Equivalency reviews are limited to those seeking the EMT and EMT-P designation levels. Assignments of restrictions, conditions or limitations to scope of practice in accordance with the EMT/EMT-P Alberta Occupational Competency Profiles will not be considered. Once a designation has been granted, the process is considered complete. Applicants may then apply to complete the College's Provincial Registration Examination.

How do I change my contact information with the College?
Practitioners are now able to update their own contact information (including email) by accessing the  CIMSPractitioner Module. Please follow these steps:
  • Enter login and password information on the CIMS main page.
  • Click on 'Registration Info' link located at the top of the page and enter updated information.
  • Click on 'Update' to save.

I've recently been married and would like to change my last name with the College. What do you need from me?

In order to change your name, we require a piece of government ID (a marriage or driver's licence - something that includes the name you would like use) faxed to us at 780.417.6911 or scanned and emailed to acp@collegeofparamedics.org.

Please include on the fax or email your registration number, clear instructions for what you would like to have done and your signature.
Labour Mobility

I am in the military. Do I still need to apply to transfer to work in Alberta?
Yes. According to the Mutual Recognition Agreement between Canadian provinces, if you are providing health services to civilians on or off the base (i.e. obtaining practice hours), you are required to hold registration in the province in which you are practicing.

How do I remove my restrictions when I am in Alberta?
Upon registration with the College you will be provided with a letter  and a Confirmation of Completion form outlining your restrictions. Your employer's medical director, who is registered with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta, must sign off on the Confirmation of Completion form provided. Restrictions are lifted  and updated registration issued once the form is verified by the College. Where there are no training available through employment you can connect with one of our approved education programs to find applicable training.

Can I have temporary registration during the labour mobility process?
No. Temporary registration is only available to those educated in Alberta and intending to write the Provincial Registration Examination in Alberta.

Who does the labour mobility application process apply to?
The labour mobility application process applies to people who are fully registered in good standing in another Canadian jurisdiction and would like to apply for registration in Alberta.

I am an unregistered EMR in another province but do not see this listed on the cross reference document. Can I still apply through labour mobility?
No. If the designation is not listed on our cross reference documents it means that you have not been able to register in your province as an EMR and are therefore unable to come to Alberta through labour mobility. In this situation, you would need to attend an approved educational program in Alberta, challenge the Provincial Registration Examination and apply for registration to practice in Alberta.

If I work for an employer who attends calls both in B.C. and Alberta, do I need to be registered in both provinces?
Yes. If you are providing health services in Alberta as defined in the scope of practice for EMR, EMT or EMT-P, you are required to be registered with the College.

I was registered in two provinces, but I let my registration expire in one of them. Am I still required to have a Verification Form submitted from both provinces?
Yes, we need to receive Verification of Registration from every regulatory agency or board that you are or have been registered with.

I hold an Occupational First Aid Level 3 (OFA3) designation in British Columbia. Can I apply to be a registered as an EMR in Alberta through Labour Mobility?
No, this designation is not recognized under Labour Mobility.

I am applying to another province for registration, and they ask to have a Verification of Registration form completed by the Alberta College of Paramedics. Who do I send it to and what format can I send it in?

You can fax (780-417-6911), email or mail your form with attention to Kathy Nelms. Please ensure that the section that requires your information is complete and up-to-date. The College will complete the remainder of the form and mail it to the receiving regulatory board.

New Registration

I have got a job with an industrial employer who has told me I'm not required to register. Is this correct?
No. If you provide health services as defined in the scope of practice for EMR, EMT or EMT-P, you are required to hold valid registration with the College.

I've been told I only have one year to register with the College. What event begins that year?
You have one year from the date you graduated from your education program to obtain registration with the College. You must also pass all components of the Provincial Registration Examination within that time, or you will not be eligible to apply for registration.

I've applied to write the Provincial Registration Examination. If I pass, does that mean I'll be registered with the College?
No. Once you have passed your Provincial Registration Examination, you will be eligible to apply for a new registration with the College. Note that you must pass the exam and apply for registration within one year of the date you graduated from your education program.

Are practitioners working at job sites that are in Alberta but only accessible from another province (ie. Remote drilling site) required to be registered with the Alberta College of Paramedics?
Yes. Practitioners are required to be registered with the College because the job site is in Alberta. Remembering that jurisdiction is determined by where the incident occurs, the provider must be registered in the province in which they are practicing as part of their regular employment. If you are working in multiple jurisdictions (AB, BC and SK, for example), you should be registered in each jurisdiction.

What should I do once I give my references the Character Reference form?

It is the applicants responsibility to include the completed Character Reference forms with their application. The College will not follow up on missing forms.

If I get a job with an employer who attends calls both in B.C. and Alberta, do I need to be registered in both provinces?
Yes. If you are providing health services in Alberta as defined in the scope of practice for EMR, EMT or EMT-P, you are required to be registered with the College.
Complaint Process

I'm concerned that my personal contact information will be given to the person I'm making a complaint about. What exactly is provided to them?
Investigated practitioners are entitled to know the name of the complainant and the nature of the complaint made against them and are provided with a copy of the formal complaint, less the complainant's personal information such as address and telephone number.

How does a punitive decision affect my practice record in the future, after I've satisfied all the requirements of the decision?
A ruling of professional misconduct or unskilled practice will remain on the practitioner's record indefinitely. This information is accessible to employers and other regulators and should be disclosed by the practitioner upon hire and/or registration with another regulatory body.

How do I know if my concern justifies a complaint?

To file a complaint against a member of the College, the member must have demonstrated unskilled practice or professional misconduct. Examples of unskilled practice and/or professional misconduct which may involve one instance of, a pattern of behavior or repeated errors, include, but not limited to:

  • Assault
  • Harassment
  • Theft
  • Practicing while Impaired
  • Practicing Outside of Scope
  • Diversion of Controlled Substances
  • Disclosing Confidential Patient Information
  • Inappropriate Access of Confidential Patient Information
  • Unethical Behavior that Impacts Profession
  • Boundary Violations
  • False or Fraudulent Documentation
  • Concerns respecting Patient Assessment/Treatment/Management, Clinical Decision-making, Medication Administration, etc

You may wish to explore other resources in the interest of resolving a concern.  In some cases, you may choose to contact the Registered Member directly and/or the employer(s) as a first step in having a concern addressed.    

If the registered member is an employee of Alberta Health Services you may wish to contact the

AHS Patient Relations Department's Central Intake as a first step.

AHS Patient Relations Department's Central Intake

Telephone: 1-855-550-2555

Fax:  1-877-871-4340

Mail:  Patient Concerns Officer and Executive Director, Patient Relations

Mail Slot #57 11111 Jasper Avenue

Edmonton AB T5K 0L4

Online feedback form:  https://www.albertahealthservices.ca/273.asp


How do I begin the complaint process?

Before filing a written complaint with the College, it is recommended that you review information contained on our website regarding complaints You may also contact the Complaints Director to discuss your concerns and the complaint process.

Do all complaints require a hearing?

No. Hearings are determined following the investigation phase and may not be necessary depending on the findings of an investigation.  Hearings are required when there is supporting evidence of professional misconduct or unskilled practice.

Will the Registered Member know that I am making a complaint?

Yes. The Registered Member(s) accused of any wrongdoings has the right to know both the allegations they stand accused of and the name of the complainant. Members must be given the opportunity to prepare an adequate response to accusations made against him or her.

Am I obligated to file a complaint?

If you are a Member of the Public you are under no obligation to file a complaint.

If you are a Registered Member of the College, you do have an obligation to protect the integrity of the profession. If you believe an incident has occurred that has not been resolved through other means (between crews, employer or other established channels) or is serious enough to warrant involvement of the College, you should consider a complaint to the College.

Will I be financially compensated if my complaint is upheld?

No. The legislative mandate of the Hearing Tribunal allows for the levy of fines and costs, as well as other remedial or punitive steps. It does not allow for punitive awards to the complainant.

How long does the complaint process take?

The complaint process varies based on the nature of the charges, investigation, availability of witnesses and a number of other factors. The College attempts to complete the process in a timely manner.

The following timeline is a general guideline. Actual amount of time required for each step in the process may exceed the timelines below and vary depending on the circumstances of the case. 

College Receipt/Review of Decision and determine required action 30 days
Investigation Process 3-6 months
Discipline Hearing Process 6 months - 1 year

Is there a time limit to filing a complaint?

No. However, the longer a situation exists prior to a complaint being filed, the more difficult it may become to gather evidence, locate and interview witnesses and access registered member(s) involved for statements. In addition, in cases where the member may be acting in a manner dangerous to the public, delaying a complaint may have a harmful outcome to future patients.

Is there a time limit for the College to act on a complaint?

If a member of the College has been suspended or cancelled and a complaint is lodged against them, the College may only initiate complaint proceedings if the complaint was made within five years following the date of cancellation or suspension. See section 28(3) of the Health Disciplines Act.

What are the possible outcomes?

  • The complaint may be dismissed due to lack of evidence;
  • The complaint may be referred to hearing;
  • On referral to hearing, a Hearing Tribunal may find the registered member guilty of professional misconduct and/or unskilled practice.

What types of sanctions (penalties) would a Hearing Tribunal order?

There are multiple issues to be considered in arriving at an appropriate sanction. They include:

  • specific deterrence of the registered member from further acts of misconduct or unskilled practice (or both)
  • general deterrence for registered members of the profession
  • rehabilitation of the registered member (including education as to expected standards) the need to maintain the confidence of the public and registered members in the profession's ability to properly supervise the conduct of its registered members.

A number of potential mitigating and aggravating factors must also be considered. These include but are not limited to:

  • recognizing that his or her own conduct was inappropriate
  • the inability to meet expected standards
  • accepting responsibility for his or her actions
  • first offence
  • premeditated conduct
  • attempts to conceal the misconduct
  • the negative impact on the public's confidence in the profession

Types of sanction may include:

  • reprimand
  • remedial training
  • costs/fines
  • practice limitations
  • publication
  • suspension

Refer to Sanction Guidelines for complete information.

Is the decision of the Hearing Tribunal final?

The decision of the Hearing Tribunal is final if an appeal is not filed within 30 days of the release of the decision. There are two avenues of appeal following a decision of the Hearing Tribunal - an appeal of a decision from the Hearing Tribunal can be made to the Health Disciplines Board.  Decisions of the Health Disciplines Board may be appealed to the Court of Appeal.    

Are Hearing decisions published?

The Hearing Tribunal has the authority to order the publication of decisions. Publication is usually based on whether the Member is deemed to be a danger to the public and/or profession or whether the case itself had a learning benefit to the Membership. In many cases, names of the participants are withheld.

Should I be represented by legal counsel?

Legal counsel exists for your protection.

Used by both the College and the Hearing Tribunal, legal counsel is vital to understanding both our legal obligations and limitations. Representation by trained counsel, although not mandatory, will ensure that all avenues of best defence have been explored and brought forward for consideration.

The Complaint process is an administrative process of peer review, in which your actions are evaluated by other Members of your professional body, themselves subject to the same set of rules, standards and expectations.

Provincial Registration Examination

Can I reserve a spot for the exam before I have graduated from my program?
No. You must provide proof of completion of your education program PRIOR to the application deadline date of the exam you wish to write in order to reserve a spot.

Does the College have an exam study guide?

The College does not publish an exam study guide.

We recommend that exam candidates familiarize themselves with the Alberta Occupational Competency Profile (AOCP). The AOCP defines the scope of practice for practitioners in Alberta. It is a complete description of the knowledge, skills, attitudes, and judgements expected of practitioners ranging from entry to practice to mastery.

I have passed the written portion of the EMR exam and am retesting the practical. If I pass, can I apply for registration right away or do I have to wait until I receive my confirmation letter in the mail?
If you pass your practical you will be eligible to apply for registration with the Alberta College of Paramedics. You will not need to wait for your confirmation letter to arrive in the mail.

I just graduated from an approved program. What are my next steps?

You have one year from the date you graduated from your education program to successfully complete the Provincial Registration Exam and apply for registration with the Alberta College of Paramedics.

The Provincial Registration Exam is offered a few times per year for each designation level. See the Provincial Registration Examination page for full details. For further information on registration with the College, visit the New Registration section.

What happens if I can't make my scheduled exam and have to cancel?
All exam cancellations or transfers after the application deadline date are subject to a 50 per cent cancellation fee. If you are registered, but do not attend the exam without informing the College prior to the exam, you will forfeit all fees paid. If extenuating circumstances arise (eg. medical issues, accident, etc.), please contact the College.

What can I expect at the exam? Also, when will I know if I've passed or not?

Written exam results are mailed to candidates within four weeks of the exam date and practical exam results are announced to each candidate at the end of the required scenario(s).

The following are some things you should know before coming to write your exam. 

  • You should arrive to your exam at least 60-90 minutes prior to the scheduled start time.
  • You will need to bring:
    • Government-issued picture ID (driver's licence or passport) OR two of the following: SIN card, AHCIP card, birth certificate or school identification.
    • The exam confirmation letter you have received in the mail.
    • Two HB pencils and a white eraser.
  • EMR exams are 2 hours. EMT and EMT-P exams are 3.5 hours.
  • Written exams consist of:
    • EMR: 100 multiple choice questions.
    • EMT & EMT-P: 200 multiple choice question
  • Practical exams can take between 3 to 5 hours. Please consider this when making travel arrangements.
  • Practical exams consist of:
    • EMR: one scenario (medical OR trauma)
    • EMT & EMT-P: two scenarios (one medical AND one trauma)
  • Please adhere to the Provincial Registration Examination dress code.


I have just finished my EMR program. How long do I have to pass the Provincial Registration Examination?
You have one year from the date you graduated from your program to meet the registration requirements, one of which is satisfactory completion of the Provincial Registration Examination. Within that year, you may attempt the exam a maximum of three times. If you fail the exam on the third attempt you would be required to repeat your education program before you can attempt the exam again.

What if I only attempt the exam twice in the year after I graduate and fail both times? Can I attempt a third time in the second year after graduation?
No. Once in your second year, you must enroll in a refresher program before you can attempt the exam again. Once you've completed your refresher program, you would have the remainder of that year and only one more attempt to pass the exam. If you fail this third attempt, you would be required to repeat your full program of study before you can attempt the exam again.

If I only fail the written component, does that count as a fail?
Yes. Failing either the written or practical component constitutes a failed attempt at the exam.
NOTE: If you pass the written portion but fail your practical on the Saturday, you will be invited to retest the practical component on Sunday. If you pass the practical that is considered one attempt and one pass. If you fail on the Sunday, it would be considered a failed attempt and counts as one of the three exam attempts.

Is the reference date for my three attempts from the day I graduated?
Yes. Candidates are given one calendar year from the date you graduated. Due to the timing of the registration exam cutoff dates, not all applicants will be able to attempt three exams in one year.
Registration Renewal

I want to renew - why can't I login to CIMS?

There are 3 possible reasons why you can't login to CIMS:

  1. You haven't met your Continuing Education requirements yet
  2. You're using Internet Explorer 9 or later. Web browsers Chrome or Firefox work best with CIMS
  3. You need to reset your password

Am I required to send copies of my updated CPR and ACLS certification to the College?

As a practitioner, you should always have current copies of CPR-C and ACLS certifications on file with the College. You MUST have a current copy of your certifications on file with the College to be eligible to renew your registration.

Please send copies via fax to 780-417-6911 or scan and email to acp@collegeofparamedics.org. Please ensure that you include your name and registration number on the fax or email. Allow two business days for updates to certifications. You can check to see if your certifications are up-to-date by logging into CIMS and clicking on the 'Registration Info' tab. At the top of this section you will see the start and end dates of your CPR or ACLS certifications.

As per legislation, CPR certification is valid for two years from the date of issue and ACLS certification is valid for four years from the date of issue.

NOTE: Certifications may become invalid prior to the expiry date printed on them. The College only accepts certifications that are two (CPR-C) and four (ACLS) years from the date of issue, regardless of the expiry date printed on the certification.

I am trying to renew, and I have a question about my Continuing Education requirements - where do I go for information?
Practitioners need to review the Professionalism Module and complete the online evaluation to become eligible for registration renewal. For information about the Continuing Education Program, visit this webpage, or read through the FAQs regarding Continuing Education. If your question is still unanswered, contact us by clicking the Ask the College question mark located on the left bar of every page on the website.

What happens if I don't renew by the Dec. 31 deadline?

The College recognizes a late renewal period each year (posted on the website during the renewal period) when you can renew your registration with an additional $175 added to the renewal fee.

If you don't renew during the late renewal period, your registration will be cancelled. If you choose to practice at a later date, you will be required to reinstate your registration.

I've lost my CIMS login and password. How do I find it?
Practitioners can have their login information emailed to them by visiting this link.

I am an EMT-P who completed the MCPs with AHS. How do I get my certification?
If you are a registered paramedic who works for Alberta Health Services or an AHS contracted service, and your ACLS on file with the College has expired, you may use your MCP completion documentation as equivalent. You can request this through www.AHSEMS.com.

If I was present at the Professionalism Seminar presented by Tim Essington at the 2013 AGM & Conference, do I still have to review the Professionalism Module and complete the evaluation?

You do not have to review the Professionalism Module and complete the evaluation if your attendance was recorded at the Professionalism Seminar. By attending the seminar, practitioners demonstrated learning of professionalism content, earned 30 Continuing Education credits and fulfilled one of two requirements to become eligible for registration renewal.

However, the College encourages each practitioner to review the module and provide feedback via the online evaluation as your comments will help guide the future learning activities produced by the College. Plus, reviewing the module and completing the evaluation is an easy way to get 30 Continuing Education credits that a practitioner can use toward the 120 needed before December 31, 2014.

How do I know if I've been successfully renewed?
The Registration List list is an up-to-date bank of practitioners who hold valid registration with the College. If you can successfully bring up your name in this list, you have successfully renewed.
Scope of Practice

What are the Alberta Occupational Competency Profiles?
The Alberta Occupational Competency Profiles (AOCPs) list the scope of practice for practitioners at each designation level. The AOCPs specify exactly what EMRs, EMTs, and EMT-Ps can do in their work practice. Practitioners cannot perform skills not listed in their AOCP.

How do the AOCPs relate and/or differ from the NOCPs?
The AOCPs (Alberta Occupational Competency Profiles) define the scope of practice for all Alberta practitioners. They were developed in Alberta by regulated Alberta practitioners. The NOCPs (National Occupational Competency Profiles) are competence documents that identify the nationally-accepted scope within four distinct levels of practice. The NOCPs were developed by interprovincial teams and give us a sense of what is happening nationally within the profession as it relates to scope of practice.

If I'm in a situation at work that I'm not sure is in my scope, what should I do?
If you are in a work situation where you are uncertain as to your scope, you should consult with someone who is knowledgeable about your designation level's scope of practice, such as the Alberta College of Paramedics. All practitioners are obligated to be knowledgeable as to their scope of practice and may access the AOCPs on the college website at any time. If you are uncertain as to whether a skill is in scope or are not confident that you can deliver it competently, you should not perform it.

What is the difference between the full competency profiles and the profiles that are ranked (Mandatory, Recommended and Variable)?
As a practitioner, you are required to be competent to your full scope of practice on entry-to-practice. The full AOCPs reflect the complete description of the knowledge, skills, attitudes and judgments expected of practitioners at each designation level when they begin to practice. For the purposes of the Continuing Competence Program, the AOCPs have been ranked mandatory (directly affects patient care), recommended (necessary to support patient care) and variable (enhance triage, treatment and transport but vary in situation, service and patient). See the Continuing Competence section for full details.
Tax Season

I cannot find my receipt for registration fees.  Will the College reprint it for me?

The College will not reprint registration receipts.

If you require an additional confirmation of payment regarding registration fees, you can access this information on your CIMS profile.

To do so:

  1. Log into CIMS
  2. Click Registration Information and then Registration History
  3. Select the entry you require

When you reach the page confirming payment of registration fees, print a screen capture for your records.

Temporary Registration

What kind of supervision do I need to work with a temporary registration number?
As stated in the Temporary Registration Policy, practitioners with temporary registration may only provide services under the direct supervision of a registered practitioner who has current registration at the same or higher discipline.

Can I apply for a temporary registration number if I have failed the Provincial Registration Exam before?
No. Temporary registration is not available to you if you have been previously unsuccessful at the Provincial Registration Examination at the same designation (EMR, EMT or EMT-P).

I just received a temporary registration number. How long is it valid?

Your temporary registration is valid from whichever of the following circumstances comes first:

  • one year after your graduation date from an approved program;
  • one year after your equivalency approval date (if coming through the equivalency program);
  • 30 days after you write a Provincial Registration Examination (no matter the outcome); or
  • upon notification you failed any part of the Provincial Registration Examination. 
If you hold a temporary number when you pass the Provincial Registration Examination, your temporary number is changed to a permanent number and your registration is mailed within a week.

I'm not yet registered with the College. How do I apply for a temporary registration number?

If you have completed your education program and require registration before you take the Provincial Registration Examination, you can apply for a temporary registration number.

The process to obtain a temporary registration number is outlined on the Temporary Registration page of the website. If you pass the Provincial Registration Examination, your status will be changed to EMR, you will receive your registration in the mail and you will not have to pay any additional fees.

Follow us on: