To practice paramedicine or use the title of paramedic in Alberta, all Emergency Medical Responders (EMR), Primary Care Paramedics (PCP) and Advanced Care Paramedics (ACP) must hold an active practice permit from the Alberta College of Paramedics.
There are two ways to become registered with the College and to obtain your practice permit:
- Provisional (for those who are new practitioners or practitioners who are changing their level of practice)
- Labour Mobility (practitioners who are new to Alberta, but have practiced in another regulated Canadian province)
If you are an international practitioner, or if you are a Canadian practitioner from an unregulated province, who is interested in moving to Alberta to practice, please consider our Substantial Equivalency Review to determine your eligibility.
The provisional register is for practitioners who have not completed the Provincial Registration Examination and/or the required upgrading as directed by the Registrar.
Practitioners on the provisional register can only provide paramedicine care at their practice level if they are under the supervision of a regulated member who meets the following criteria:
- Currently holds general registration (not provisional or restricted registration) with the Alberta College of Paramedics at the same or a higher discipline level as the provisional practitioner OR is a regulated member in good standing with another regulated health profession in Alberta
- Is approved by the employer to provide direct supervision
- Is able to directly supervise the practice and be able to immediately and physically intervene with no delay in patient care
Regulated members who supervise must be authorized in any restricted activity they are required to supervise as per the Paramedics Profession Regulation.
On the other side, the general register is for practitioners who have completed the Provincial Registration Examination and/or have met upgrading requirements. These regulated members can provide care at their practice level unsupervised.
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org